Bruce W. Etherington
Bruce W. Etherington BA, CLU, CHFC, CFP
Advisor, Mentor, Speaker & Author
A fully accredited financial planner with a specialty in life insurance, Bruce holds the CLU, CHFC and CFP designations. His firm, Bruce Etherington & Associates, specializes in family harmony and philanthropy and achieved the objective of creating $1 billion for charities and not-for-profits in the first decade of this century.
A renowned speaker, Bruce has spoken to virtually every major insurance and financial planning organization in the world. He has appeared 16 times on the platform of the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT), which is considered by many to be the preeminent sales organization in the insurance and financial planning industry. His books “See The People” and “Reflect & Prepare” are international bestsellers, as are his CDs, which continue to change the lives of salespeople around the world.
Born in Purley, Surrey, England, Bruce came to Canada at the age of two. He graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1965 with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and entered the life insurance business with London Life. He subsequently obtained his Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), Chartered Financial Consultant (CHFC) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designations.
Bruce resides in Mississauga, Ontario with his wife of 44 years, Karen who was his “first date” and high school sweetheart. Bruce and Karen have five grown children: Michael, a graduate of the University of Oregon, married to Christine and a Financial Planner with Etherington Financial Services Inc. in Vancouver, B.C., Sarah, a graduate of Queen’s University and Capilano College, married to Dave and now a Montessori teacher and mom to Lucas, Hailey and Scarlet Rose in Vancouver, Jay, a graduate of the University of British Columbia and an entrepreneur in the golf and organic food business in Vancouver, B.C.
Bruce enjoys golfing, skiing, tennis, fishing, cycling, reading, music, speaking, writing and selling!
- 42-year Life and Qualifying Member of the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT), the world’s premier educational institution in the fields of life insurance, financial and estate planning. MDRT is comprised of the top 2% of financial advisors in the world.
- 33-year Charter and Qualifying Member of the Top of the Table (TOT), which is comprised of the top MDRT members in the world. Bruce was the Chair in 1993.
- Co-founder of Action Committee Taxation (ACT) in 1977, which successfully opposed the Canadian Federal Government’s proposed “Widow’s Tax”.
- In its recent best-seller, “The Greatest Insurance Stories Ever Told”, Bruce is featured as one of MDRT’s 12 greatest living members.
- Founding member, Conference for Advanced Life Underwriting (CALU) – today the most effective tax lobby group for financial advisors in Canada.
- Past Board Member, Life Underwriters Association of Canada (LUAC) and Institute of Chartered Life Underwriters of Canada/Canadian Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors (CAIFA) now Advocis.
- Past President, Toronto Advocis Chapter.
- Co-founder of the Annual Sports Celebrities Festival (in aid of Canadian Special Olympics), now the largest single fundraising event in the world for Special Olympics.
- Member, Hall of Fame, Ontario Special Olympics.
- Co-founder The Community Foundation of Oakville.
- Past President, Devil’s Glen Ski Club
- Supporter of various charitable, educational & arts organizations in Canada.